Upcoming workshop (online):
Practical Music Theory for Curious Minds
Saturday, May 1st, 2021, 1:00pm – 5:00pm (EDT)
Take a deep, music-notation-less dive into the foundational architecture of our system of music. More info over at the event registration page.
In addition to private lessons, Joel leads group events and discussions centered around helping people listen to and talk about music more effectively.
In his capacity as a composer for media, Joel has guest-lectured to film/production students on subjects ranging from film-scoring to strategies for communicating with a composer.
As an ensemble composer and instrumentalist he has led workshops and discussions at various universities and community production spaces centered around how to effectively listen to and talk about music.
Workshop/lecture attendees have included:
- Filmmakers struggling to communicate with composers
- Producers and project managers looking to better explain or justify music choices to their clients
- Overwhelmed podcasters who find themselves sifting through thousands of library tracks in an attempt to score their latest episode
- Film students who are new to combining music with visual media
- Non-production-world music-enthusiasts looking to improve their listening skills
Workshop content and length can be tailored to any audience or occasion.
For questions or to set up a talk, head over to the contact page!