In his capacity as a composer for media, Joel has guest-lectured to film/production students on subjects ranging from film-scoring to strategies for communicating with a composer.
As an ensemble composer and instrumentalist he has led workshops and discussions at various universities and community production spaces centered around how to effectively listen to and talk about music.
Workshop/lecture attendees have included:
- Filmmakers struggling to communicate with composers
- Producers and project managers looking to better explain or justify music choices to their clients
- Overwhelmed podcasters who find themselves sifting through thousands of library tracks in an attempt to score their latest episode
- Film students who are new to combining music with visual media
- Non-production-world music-enthusiasts looking to improve their listening skills
Workshop content and length can be tailored to any audience or occasion.
For questions or to set up a talk, head over to the contact page!